Monday, March 19, 2012

Glimpses of free time

The plan for spring break was to spend a good bit of it in Kauai, the Garden Isle. Weather did not permit full enjoyment of the island, however, so I opted out and stayed on Oahu.
I rented a car and increased my routine 10-mile-radius world.
Many sights were familiar, some were new. Here are some glimpses of my spring break.


My never-ending quest to perfect homemade pad thai. I think ten more times should do it. Luckily it takes all of 20 minutes.
I checked out this movie at the Honolulu Academy of Arts.
There, I found myself inside a person's nest.
And I'm in Hawaii, so I did a good bit of hiking and beaches. There isn't many places where you can find mountains next to the beach, my two favorite landscapes.

The sun had been hiding for over a week. It was miserable. I was so happy to see and feel it's return.
Mostly I just relaxed and appreciated a slower pace. I watched the sun rise.
I watched it Earth turn away from it.
Friday, I thought I might be eaten by a shark. But this didn't diminish my affinity for the ocean. Just increased my respect for it I suppose. It really is another world.
A drive along the north shore brought ice cold fresh coconut and encounters with ancient religious temples.
Makapu'u, my favorite beach.
My Kona, The Rock.
Tried some new drinks.
Enjoyed a bit of the city artwork.
And hiked some more.



It was a good week, and I was disappointed to get back to reality. But then I shook myself hard and looked at what I was complaining about, my momma didn't raise no spoild chile. I'm glad I got to have such an awesome week while staying at home!


No comments:

Post a Comment